SG-1 S8 - "New Order"

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
I wasn't terribly impressed. It was a good episode, to be sure, but it wasn't as explosive or "big" as I thought it should be, and it felt really unfocused to me.

For example, the Replicators are supposedly this huge threat, enough that Thor actually kidnaps Daniel to help them out. But we never SEE that threat, we never see what's going on down on the planet, so I never felt emotionally connected to what was going on there. We just got that one Asgard on the viewscreen.

And secondly, no one at the SGC seems worried that Thor kidnapped Daniel and ran off. That really bothered me. Weir just seemed to go on as normal after he was gone.

It was almost like they'd written two episodes, and then decided that they should be one episode, but didn't really spend much time making sure the two storylines worked together.

But it did have pluses - Jack was great, as usual. I loved when he inspected the weapon his mind created. "Yeah... Oh yeah, uh huh....... I got nothing." Great stuff.

Arik

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 1, 2010
Meh. I enjoyed it. Teal'c looks like a Chia pet (thanks, Richard Dean Anderson...) :D

Stag

It's me again
Jan 1, 1970
Florida
I liked it, by the way...the one thing that I find funny is that every time they want to show some sort of alternate universe or reality, they always give Carter long hair.

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
I thought it was good, as SG-1 often is good, but not great. I personally love SG-1 because until about Season 7 they've managed to keep the quality up there with remarkable success, and season 7 wasn't so much bad, as lacking.

When I first heard that O'Neill was going to be the new base commander the first thing I thought after "Oh No, he isn't gonna be in SG-1 anymore!" was "How the HELL are they going to write him into accepting promotion believably???" and the way they did it worked really well, and more imprortantly, wasn't out of character.

Brikar said:
For example, the Replicators are supposedly this huge threat, enough that Thor actually kidnaps Daniel to help them out. But we never SEE that threat, we never see what's going on down on the planet, so I never felt emotionally connected to what was going on there. We just got that one Asgard on the viewscreen.

And secondly, no one at the SGC seems worried that Thor kidnapped Daniel and ran off. That really bothered me. Weir just seemed to go on as normal after he was gone.
He doesn't kidnap Daniel, he justs beams him up without asking, did Daniel mind? Of course not, it's the Asgard, it's THOR, it happens to them all the time. Remember when Jonas joined the team, they were making jokes that he should be excited because it was his first time being captured by the Gou'Auld. And when the Asgard are in orbit, and a member of SG-1 dissapears in a flash of light, I think it should be obvious by now that they're safe :p

As for visualising the destruction, I agree, but the fact still remains that I cared more about the Asgard planet than I did about Earth in season 3 of ENT!

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
Kidnapping someone and taking them without asking are the same thing. Whether or not Daniel minded isn't the problem so much as no one at the SGC seemed to think much of it or even care, especially in the middle of what were some rather tense negotiations with Earth's primary enemy - The Goa'uld (however it's spelled).

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
Yes, but The asgaard have evolved beyond such petty trivialities such as rights and freedoms. They are an advanced culture that has earned the right to treat all other living things like second rate beings. They've contributed enough to the rest of the species they've encountered that they don't need to respect the same rules and freedoms they preach... wait a minute.. oh, sorry, I was thinking of the Bush administration.

:D

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
Brikar said:
Kidnapping someone and taking them without asking are the same thing. Whether or not Daniel minded isn't the problem so much as no one at the SGC seemed to think much of it or even care, especially in the middle of what were some rather tense negotiations with Earth's primary enemy - The Goa'uld (however it's spelled).
Yes, and my point is that they shouldn't be worried by now, I mean, Daniel had just walked in to say the Asgard were there, and then he dissapeared in a flash of white light, which is what happens when the Asgard beam people up, and seeing as they were in the middle of important negotiations with the Goa'uld, and showing worry at the fact that Daniel had dissapeared would be a sign of weakness, and let's face it, this shit happens to them all the time...after 6 years of being beamed up by the Asgard I think the whole base would be used to it by now, something the characters have commented upon before.